District of the
Mississippi Annual Conference
Lay Servant Training Event
Sponsored by the DeSoto County Cluster of the Senatobia District
Saturday, February 13, 2016
Location: Hernando UMC, 1890 Mt. Pleasant Road, Hernando, MS 38632
Schedule: Saturday, February 13, 2016
- 7:30 Gathering and light breakfast
- 8:00 Prayers in Chapel
- 8:30 Classes
- 12:00 Lunch Break
- 12:30 Classes
- 3:30 Closing Communion
Mail completed registration form and payment to:
4550 Big Horn Dr S
Nesbit, MS 38651
Checks payable to Pleasant Hill UMC
Call 662.562.5865 for more information
REGISTRATION FORM: 2016 Lay Servant Training Registration Form
Payment of $45.00 is expected at time of registration/$50.00 if you would like a Sonny Daniels’s Bar BQ Plate on Saturday!!!
Bring your Bible, a notebook, a pen and an open heart and mind to the blessings God has in store for all who participate in this event!
- Basic Lay Servants, this course should be taken before any other. It introduces basic skills in 3 primary aspects of Lay Servant Ministries: leading, caring, and communicating.
Ministry isn’t just a clergy endeavor; all Christians are called to serve. Laity serve on the front line of evangelical living. This course explores how Laity can be the church.
The Basic Lay servant Course will help laity explore and discover their unique call in serving God, neighbor and the greater church.
Course Facilitator: Cheryl Denley
Cheryl Denley, Senatobia District Secretary/Staff, Certified Lay Servant and former Conference Director of Lay Servant Ministries.
- Advanced Course, Spiritual Leadership
We will discuss a way to move forward from where we are, to where God desires us to be.
The SLI approach gives us 3 principles:
1. Develops spiritual leaders who model a community that learns and leads together.
2. Creates environments that foster transformation
3. Establish processes that bear fruit.
All done while seeking the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Course Facilitator: Rev. Dr. Larry H. Hillard
Rev. Dr. Larry H. Hilliard is The Director of Spiritual Leadership for the MS Annual Conference. Larry is a graduate of William Carey University and Memphis Theological Seminary. He has served congregations all over the state as well as in Texas. Recently Larry has attended coach training with Spiritual Leadership Inc where he is learning a loving, learning and leading approach to ministry.
He is married to the Rev. Terry Lynn Hilliard. They have 6 children and 1 grandson.
What is a Lay Servant???
A lay servant is (local church or certified) a member of a local Church or charge who:
- is ready and desirous to serve the Church
- is well informed on the Scriptures and the doctrine, heritage, organization, and the life of the United Methodist Church
- has received specific training to develop skills in witnessing to the Christian faith through spoken communication, church and community leadership and care-giving ministries
- is active in support of the local church or charge